Welcome to the Hanham Family website.
May 2016 - Dover, UK
Dover Castle is England’s largest castle and was founded in the 11th century. During the Second World War the tunnels under the castle were converted first into an air-raid shelter and then later into a military command center and underground hospital.
St. Mary in Castro at Dover Castle – This Saxon church was built on the Castle Hill in the 10th century.
Roman Lighthouse at Dover Castle datinges from around 46-50 AD (during the reign of the Emperor Claudius 41-54 AD)
Armory room of Dover Castle
Richard with one of the WW II guns at Dover Castle.
We hiked the coastline above the White Cliffs of Dover to South Foreland Lighthouse, built in 1843. It was the first lighthouse to use an electric light.
Tea time at Mrs. Knotts Tearoom in the South Foreland Lighthouse
Richard and Suzanna by the White Cliffs of Dover
Rick and Martha by the White Cliffs of Dover
View of the White Cliffs of Dover
Dover port where ferries depart and arrive to and from France
Notice the TV screen on the wall. During most of our meal, an infomercial in Turkish aired, urging viewers to take advantage of this wonderful deal on hemorrhoid cream and spray! It was quite graphic . . . not your usual mealtime entertainment for sure!
The vast late 17th-century mansion Petworth House is set in a beautiful 700-acre deer park. Petworth is famous for its extensive art collection.
The largest herd of fallow deer in England reside at Petworth House, West Sussex
Martha and Suzanna were fascinated by this lovely handkerchief tree.