ENGLAND’S CHRISTIAN HERITAGE

St. Andrew’s Church in Steyning, West Sussex, England


Tradition is that St Cuthman built the first wooden structure on this site in approx 750 AD. There was certainly a church on the site in 857 when it is recorded that King Ethelwulf of Wessex was buried there in that year. The earliest part of our present building, built by the French Monks of Fecamp, dates from the 12th Century.
3001_201310_26 Steyning St Andrews Ch (9)_SM


Note the rings on St. Andrews’ door behind Suzanna.  Under medieval Church law a fugitive from justice could be temporarily secure in the church or even by grasping 'sanctuary' rings on the door. The fugitive could be tried by the church and not the state.
3002_201310_26 Steyning St Andrews Ch (12)_SM


This plaque inside the church memorializes a man who lived a “sober and inoffensive life.”
3003_201310_26 Steyning St Andrews Ch (11)_SM


William Penn - Steyning

William Penn lived near Steyning and was associated with a Quaker meeting house on this site.
3004_201310_26 Penns Court_SM


St. Nicolas Church - Steyning

Parish Church of St. Nicholas – built in 1073 (located near Steyning, West Sussex, England)
3005_St Nicholas Church



BuiltWithNOF

Oct 13-Our Heritage